Performance Coach, Indoor and Beach
The Performance Coach program is designed for coaches working with athletes in the Train to Compete stage and most often the 18-22 age group. The workshop is also recommended for Advanced Development Certified coaches seeking additional coach education in the area of Performance Analysis. The program has three designations that coaches will achieve as they work towards certification. These designations are: In Training, Trained, and Certified. The requirements for each designation are listed below.
Volleyball Canada is responsible for the delivery of the Performance Coach Pathway (Indoor and Beach). The requirements are listed below or they can be found under the Performance Coach section of Volleyball Canada's NCCP Pathways document.
In Training - Performance Coach
To achieve In Training - Performance Coach designation, coaches must successfully complete the following:
Coaches may have already completed this e-module at the Development or Advanced Development Coach context. The e-modules are designed to provide all the essential information a volleyball coach will need prior to the In-Person Workshops.
Trained - Performance Coach
To achieve Trained - Performance Coach designation, coaches must successfully complete the following in addition to all previously listed requirements:
1. Multi-Sport Modules
- Managing Conflict
- Leading Drug-Free Sport
- Psychology of Performance
- Coaching and Leading Effectively
- Prevention and Recovery
- Developing Athletic Abilities
- Advanced Planning a Practice
- Performance Planning
- Manage a Sport Program
The Multi-Sport Modules provide education and training in areas relevant to coaches in all sports. In Alberta, the Multi-Sport Modules are offered through the Alberta Sport Connection (ASC). A schedule of upcoming ASC Multi-Sport Workshops in Alberta can be found here.
2. Performance Coach In-Person Workshop
The Performance Coach Workshop is entirely focussed on the skill of Performance Analysis (error detection and correction). This is an advanced volleyball coaching workshop and is intended for coaches who aspire to develop athletes and teams which will be competitive at national level competitions and university/college leagues. More information on the Performance Coach In-Person Workshop, including how to apply, can be found here.
Certified - Performance Coach
To achieve Certified - Performance Coach designation, coaches must successfully complete the following, in addition to all previously listed requirements:
1. Portfolio Submission
- Performance Planning submission, Indoor or Beach (YTP & Microcycles)
- Manage a Program submission
- Support the Competitive Experience submission
2. Evaluation Requirements
- Make Ethical Decision Online Evaluation - Comp Dev Stream
- Making Head Way (Generic)
- Error Detection and Correction Online Evaluation (Basic and Intermediate Skills, Beach or Indoor)
- Leading Drug-Free Sport Online Evaluation
- Managing Conflict Online Evaluation
- Support to Athletes in Training Evaluation (video submissions or in-person)
- Support the Competitive Experience Evaluation (one in-person evaluation of a match)
More information on the Performance Coach Portfolio and Evaluation Requirements can be found here.
For more information on Volleyball Canada's Performance Coach Pathway, please email Ian Halliday, Coach Development Manager with Volleyball Alberta.