2019 Team Alberta 15U Boys (born in 2004 or later) & 16U Boys (born in 2003 or later)
Note: The updated 16-month age categories do not apply for the Team Alberta program. Overage athletes are not eligible to compete in the younger age category
The Development of a Physical Profile
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
16U Male Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Standards updated by the High Performance Committee in January 2019
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches (potentially via their Team Manager) will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations in January (after the Premier 1 registration deadline).
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing prior to Premier #1. The tests conducted will not impact athlete performance at Premier #1; conducted tests include weight, height, seated height, standing reach, wingspan, grip strength, vertical jump (block, spike), T-test. Team Alberta coaches will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Athletes may be extended an offer to attend an ID Camp (March 30 in Sylvan Lake).
- Team Alberta Coaches will be evaluating athletes at the ID Camp.
- Team Alberta Coaches will also be evaluating athletes in the Premier Season.
- Team Alberta Coaches will invite a maximum of 40 Male athletes to attend the Team Alberta Training Centre in July. Please note: If athletes are unable to attend physical testing, coaches will have to provide their testing results prior to being invited to the ID Camp. Athletes not in attendance at the ID Camp may still be extended an invitation to join the Team Alberta Training Centre.
- Athletes attending the Training Centre will have approximately 4-5 days of training with Alberta’s top coaches and high performance staff.
- From the training period, two teams of 12 athletes (for more information, please refer to the 2019 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy) will be selected to represent Alberta at Canada Cup.
Volleyball Canada Youth National team program information will be posted once the process has been finalized
Key Dates for 2019 (Dates and locations may be subject to change):
- January 22- January 28: Club Coaches receive request for Athlete Recommendations
- February 9 or 23: Recommended Athletes attend evening physical testing
- March 30: 15U & 16U Identification Camp (Sylvan Lake)
- July 2 - 7: Training Centre - Saville Community Sports Centre. Competition Team Selection take place on July 7/ Non-selected athletes are released.
- July 8 - 16: Competition Team Training (Edmonton)
- July 16: Depart for Canada Cup (Halifax, NS)
- July 17: Canada Cup Practice Day
- July 18-21: Canada Cup (Halifax, NS).
- July 22: Athletes return to Alberta and released.
- August 6- 13: WCSG athletes (1 team of 12) will be re-called for training.
- August 13: Teams will travel to Swift Current for WCSG.
- August 13 - 18: Western Canada Summer Games.
- Athletes will be released upon their return from the WCSG.
2019 Head Coach (Black) & WCSG Head Coach: Sean McKay
- 2018 17U Team Alberta Head Coach
- 2017 16U Team Alberta Assistant Coach
- Western University Mustang setter and captain 2009-2014
- Masters degree in coaching
- Played professionally in Sweden.
- Contract coach for St Vincent and the Grenadines Junior National Teams.
- Former Assistant coach of Fanshawe college men's team.
- Current coach of SAIT Trojans and ACAC south conference coach of the year.
- 2016-17 ACAC Men’s Volleyball South Division Coach of the Year
2019 Assistant Coach (Black): Ken McLaughlin
- 2017- 2018: The King's University Assistant Coach
- Holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Kinesiology
- 2016 - current: NAVC Head Coach (17U Provincial Champions 2018, 16U Provincial Champions 2017)
2019 Head Coach (Blue) & WCSG Assistant Coach: Craig Marshall
- 2018 Team Alberta 16U Men's Head Coach
- 2017 Team Alberta 17U Women's Head Coach
- 12 years of coaching experience. Current Head Coach of the 18UW NAVC Griffins.
- Three years coaching with The King’s University College program (Assistant coach of both the Women’s and Men’s teams).
- Bachelor of P.E. from the University of Alberta, major in coaching studies in 2015.
- Played for the Bears for 2 years and then coached for 3 years, his last year culminating with the Bears winning CIS Gold in 2014.
- 2014 Team Alberta 19U Men's Assistant Coach
2019 Assistant Coach (Blue): Mitchell Schneider
- 2015 - current: Grande Prairie Regional College Head Coach
- 2012 - 2017: Saskatchewan Volleyball Provincial Team Head Coach
- Holds Fitness Leadership and Movement Diploma
- Working towards a Bachelor of Education degree
- Certified NCCP Performance Coach
2018 Team Alberta Training Centre
Congratulations to the following athletes who have been selected to the Team Alberta Training Centre. These athletes will train from July 4-8th before athlete's will be selected for the competition teams.
William Breton, Jacob Breton, Christopher Bryant, Connor Deschene, Aaron Elser, Zach Evans, Josh Gagnon, Michael Kordyban, Zach Lobdell, Evan Mah, Jakob Olsson, Spencer Purdie, Jeff Sinclair, Zachary van Geel, James Vincett, Taylor Wenzel, Viggo Wozniak, Aidan Young, Quinn Howard, Carsten Bergeron, Kyle Elgersma, Dante Furlan, Erik Godwin, Keegan Hanrahan, Cole Hemmerling, Jacob Hicks, Jonah Karsten, David Kindley, Kendall Kropp, Mason Natras, Colby Nemeth, Joel Nickel, Cody Noble, David Pardell, Seth Rempel, Jacob Ritz, Sean Roberston, Matthew Sargent, Allan Solomon, Pearce Toal, Justin Wasylowich, Ryan Wasylyshyn.
2018 Team Alberta Competition Team
Team Alberta Black
|9||Quinn Howard||Alternate (YT)|
Team Alberta Blue
|Uniform #||Athlete Name||Position|
|2||Zachary van Geel||Alternate|
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under.
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Diane Bugler at email@example.com or call 403-202-6540.