Team Alberta Beach
- To produce excellence among the top age class athletes in the province of Alberta.
- To develop the athlete’s technical, tactical, physical and psychological skills by exposing selected athletes to enriched levels of training and competition.
- To provide opportunities for personal and leadership development.
- Success at the Provincial Championships, Western Canada Summer Games, Canada Summer Games, National Championships; as well as the long-term preparation of athletes for participation and success at National Team levels.
The Provincial Team Program will also assist in the development of competitive beach volleyball in Alberta by working in conjunction with players, coaches and volunteers associated with Alberta’s other volleyball delivery programs.
2017 Provincial Team Information:
Volleyball Alberta's focus for 16U (born 2001 or later) and 18U (born 1999 or later) beach volleyball athletes is to provide an opportunity to train in a challenging, developmental environment and receive education on what it takes to prepare, train and perform at a high level. For this group, there is an emphasis on understanding the game of beach volleyball and to stabilize and refine those specific skills and tactics.
In 2017 a maximum of twenty eight athletes will be identified and invited to the Team Alberta Competition Group. The Competition group will be selected based on athletes attendance at the High Performance Camps in June. Athletes selected will have the opportunity to be coached by some of Alberta's top beach volleyball coaches in a competitive high performance training environment.
The 2017 Competition group that is selected in June will attend a training camp in Calgary August 1-4 and then compete in the Provincial Championships in Calgary August 5-6. The Competition Group will then travel to Toronto on August 13 and train with the Ontario Provincial Team from the 14-16. On the evening of August 16 the teams will travel to Ottawa, where they will practice at the nationals tournament venue on the 17th and compete in Volleyball Canada Youth Beach Nationals August 18-20. Athletes will fly back to Calgary or Edmonton the evening of August 20.
Cost for the Program will be $1400/athlete
2017 Team Alberta Beach
18U Girls: Head Coach Milou Saxton
Emma Holmes/Delilah Gow
Kenzie Vaandering/Journey Flewell
Dora Komlodi/Grace McKale
18U Boys: Head Coach: Ben Ernewein
Sam Elgert/Shae McIntyre
Aiden McIntyre/Dominic Losier
16U Girls: Head Coach: Ray Sewell
Trinity Solecki/Jordan Lapins
Michelle Deng/Michela Alongi
Avery Kelly/Sarah Heupel
Edyn Aasman/Kylie Morrison
Anna Wittenberg/Emileigh Inglis
16U Boys: Head Coach: Russ Lawrence
Carson Brennan/Callum Campbell
Jack Cochran/Taylor Dobson
Josh Gagnon/Max Turgeon
Cole Florence/Lukas Humle
2017 Canada Summer Games (athletes born in 1997 or later)
Men: Matthew Saly/Brendan Vanderlinde Coach: Zach Brown
Women: Olivia Furlan/Kate Pexman Coach: Raynell Prince
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- FCAVA Provincial Team Volleyball Scholarship: These scholarships are available to Provincial Team athletes who demonstrate an interest in attending SAIT Polytechnic and competing as members of the Men's and Women's SAIT Trojans Volleyball Teams.
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- Kid Sport Elite Performance Grant: The KidSport Elite Performance Grant was created to provide financial assistance to athletes in Alberta who have been recognized at a provincial or national team level.
- Stacey Levitt Scholarship: The Stacey Levitt Women and Sport Scholarship is in memory of a very special 18 year old woman who was struck down by a car while she was jogging on Aug. 30, 1995.
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.