2019 Team Alberta 15U Girls (born in 2004 or later) & 16U Girls (born in 2003 or later)
Note: The updated 16-month age categories do not apply for the Team Alberta program. Overage athletes are not eligible to compete in the younger age category
The Development of a Physical Profile
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
16U Female Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations in January (after the Premier 1 registration deadline).
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing prior to Premier #1. The tests conducted will not impact athlete performance at Premier #1; conducted tests include weight, height, seated height, standing reach, wingspan, grip strength, vertical jump (block, spike), T-test. Team Alberta coaches will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Athletes may be extended an offer to attend an ID Camp (March 30 in Sylvan Lake).
- Team Alberta Coaches will be evaluating athletes at the ID Camp.
- Team Alberta Coaches will also be evaluating athletes in the Premier Season.
- Team Alberta Coaches will invite a maximum of 70 Females athletes to attend the Team Alberta Training Camp in July (approximately 24 15U Girls and 48 16U Girls) . Please note: If athletes are unable to attend physical testing, coaches will have to provide their testing results prior to being invited to the ID Camp. Athletes not in attendance at the ID Camp may still be extended an invitation to join the Team Alberta Training Camp.
- Athletes attending the Training Camp will have approximately 4-5 days of training with Alberta’s top coaches and high performance staff.
- From the Training Camp, three teams of 12 athletes will be selected (for more information, please refer to the 2019 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy) to represent Alberta at Canada Cup (Two 16U teams, One 15U team). Athletes will also be selected to represent Alberta at the Western Canada Summer Games (WCSG).
Volleyball Canada Youth National team program information will be posted once the process has been finalized.
Key Dates for 2019 (Dates and locations may be subject to change):
- January 22- January 28: Club Coaches receive request for Athlete Recommendations
- February 8 or February 22: Recommended Athletes attend evening physical testing (Edmonton or Calgary)
- March 30: 15U & 16U Identification Camp (Sylvan Lake)
- July 2 - 7: Training Camp - SAIT. Competition Team Selection take place on July 7/ Non-selected athletes are released.
- July 8 - 16: Competition Team Training (Calgary)
- July 16: Depart for Canada Cup (Halifax, NS)
- July 17: Canada Cup Practice day
- July 18-21: Canada Cup (Halifax, NS).
- July 22: Athletes return to Alberta and released.
- August 6 - 13: WCSG athletes (1 team) will be re-called for training
- August 13: Teams will travel to Swift Current for WCSG.
- August 13- 18: Western Canada Summer Games.
- Athletes will be released upon their return from the WCSG.
2019 Coaching Staff
2019 15U Team Alberta White Women's Head Coach: Rhonda Schmuland
- Practicing Physiotherapist since 2010
- Team Alberta Assistant Coach: 18U Women in 2016
- Numerous years as a Head Coach with Canuck: developed and implemented warm-up and recovery program used by club
- Professional Volleyball Athlete: TFOC Volleyball Club, France 2006-2007
- 2002-2006: Played for Trinity Western University - was Team Captain for 3 years.
2019 15U Team Alberta White Women's Assistant Coach: Beth Vinnell
2019 16U Team Alberta Black Head Coach & WCSG Team Head Coach: Carolyn O'Dwyer
- 2018 Team Alberta 17U Head Coach
- 2017-2019 University of Alberta Pandas: Assistant Coach & Masters in Coaching student
- 2017 18U Team Alberta: Canada Games Assistant Coach
- SAIT and MRU Assistant coaching experience
- 2016 Team Alberta coach - 17U Girls
- 2014 - 2017: VCCE Calgary coach
- 2012 - 2015: Outside Hitter at MRU: Canada West Rookie of the Year in 2015
- 2009 - 2013: Team Alberta athlete (2013 Canada Games Gold)
2019 16U Team Alberta Black Assistant Coach: Laura McManes
2019 16U Team Alberta Blue Head Coach & WCSG Team Assistant Coach: Sammy Fraser
- 2018 Team Alberta Blue 16U Head Coach
- 2012 - Current: Mount Royal University Women's Volleyball Assistant Coach
- 2015- Current: Cougars Volleyball Club Head Coach
- 2015 - Current, Cougars Volleyball Club Executive Director
- RHN Holistic Nutrition
2019 16U Team Alberta Blue Assistant Coach: Chris Cheng
- 2017-2019: Gentofte Volley, Professional Liga Women's, Denmark Head Coach
- 2018: CMS Crush Women's Team (ONE Volley Calgary) Assistant Coach
- Holds a Bachelor of Kinesiology Degree from the University of Calgary
2018 Team Alberta Training Centre
Congratulations to the following athletes who have been selected to the Team Alberta program. These athletes will be at the Team Alberta Training Centre from July 4th - 8th
RaeAnna Armbruster, Alexis Bernier, Carolyn Berze, Jillian Bieraugle, Ashlyn Bradford, Chelsea Bunke, Avery Burgar, Arden Butler, Faith Christensen, Jordyn Cross, Jenna Cross, Abigail Algert, Kinna Fisher, Kylee Glanville, Polina Golovina, Taylor Hart, Sarah Heupel, Makenna Hogg, Madison Hoppus, Sydney Horyn, Evelyn Kath, Laurne Kauffeldt, Kendra Kern, Nora Kotun, Ashley Krause, Brooke Malek, Morgan McKale, Kinleigh Pate, Carmen Paterson, Rachel Perry, Kaylee Plouffe, Lana Pralica, Makenzie Reeve, Morgann Reinhart, Kiera Rempel, Autumn Roos, Sona Sajeev, Mya Scoble, Jessie Shang, Payton Shimoda, Lauren Tensen, Mary Thiessen, Carly Thomson, Kayla Vreugdenhil, Edan Wade, Abby Weiss, Shynelle Woroniuk, Hannah Young, Haley Kennedy, Avery Bates, Olivia Clague, Grace Coulter, Jayden Dixon, Jaiden Ferguson, Taylor Fuller, Scarlett Gingera, Jade Hamer, Megan Harley, Melissa Hatfield, Regan Ingram, Petra Jurcak, Avery Kelly, Jayme Klimchuk, Chenee Lehman, Mackenzie Logan, Madison Macfie, Megan McDonald, Sophie Reed, Olivia Roest, Jordyn Sealock, Kendall Tanner, Sarah Zonneveld, Hannah Zurakowski.
2018 Team Alberta Black 16U
|4||Madison Macfie||Outside Hitter|
|5||Megan McDonald||Setter (Alternate)|
|6||Grace Coulter||Outside Hitter|
|8||Megan Harley||Outside Hitter|
|9||Sarah Heupel||Outside Hitter (Alternate)|
|10||Lauren Kauffeldt||Outside Hitter|
|12||Scarlett Gingera||Outside Hitter|
|16||Polina Golovina||Outside Hitter|
2018 Team Alberta Blue 16U
|5||Ashley Krause||Outside Hitter (alternate)|
|6||Madison Hoppus||Outside Hitter|
|7||Jordyn Sealock||Outside Hitter|
|10||Kendall Tanner||Middle/OH (Alternate)|
|11||Nora Kotun||Outside Hitter|
|12||Rachel Perry||Outside Hitter|
2018 Team Alberta White 15U
|1||Jessie Shang||Outside Hitter|
|5||Payton Shimoda||Setter/Libero (alternate)|
|8||Kylee Glanville||Outside Hitter|
|9||Mary Thiessen||Outside Hitter|
|13||Shynelle Woroniuk||Outside Hitter|
|14||Mya Scoble||Rightside (alternate)|
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Diane Bugler at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-202-6540.