2018 Team Alberta 15U Girls (born in 2003 or later) & 16U Girls (born in 2002 or later)
Note: The updated 16-month age categories do not apply for the Team Alberta program. Overage athletes are not eligible to compete in the younger age category
Note: Athletes who are members of the Team Alberta Indoor Program are not eligible to participate in the Alberta Summer Games due to the conflict between the Canada Cup (16U Teams) and the Alberta Summer Games
The Development of a Physical Profile
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
16U Female Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations in January (after the Premier 1 registration deadline).
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing prior to Premier #1. The tests conducted will not impact athlete performance at Premier #1; conducted tests include standing reach, vertical jump (block, spike), T-test, 20 m sprint). Team Alberta coaches will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Athletes may be extended an offer to attend an ID Camp (March 24 in Sylvan Lake).
- Team Alberta Coaches will be evaluating athletes at the ID Camp.
- Team Alberta Coaches will also be evaluating athletes in the Premier Season.
- Team Alberta Coaches will invite a maximum of 70 Females athletes to attend the Team Alberta Training Camp in July. Please note: If athletes are unable to attend physical testing, coaches will have to provide their testing results prior to being invited to the ID Camp. Athletes not in attendance at the ID Camp may still be extended an invitation to join the Team Alberta Training Camp.
- Athletes attending the Training Camp will have approximately 4-5 days of training with Alberta’s top coaches and high performance staff.
- From the Training Camp, three teams of 12 athletes will be selected (for more information, please refer to the 2018 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy) to represent Alberta at Canada Cup (Two 16U teams, One 15U team).
Volleyball Alberta will provide Volleyball Canada with a list of our top athletes for the VC Selection Committee to consider when selecting their Youth & Junior National Teams at National Championships.
Key Dates for 2018 (Dates and locations may be subject to change):
- January 29- February 5: Club Coaches receive request for Athlete Recommendations
- February 9 or February 23: Recommended Athletes attend evening physical testing (Edmonton or Calgary)
- March 24: 15U & 16U Identification Camp (Sylvan Lake)
- July 4 - 8: Training Camp - Saville Community Sports Centre. Competition Team Selection take place on July 8/ Non-selected athletes are released.
- July 9 - 17: Competition Team Training (Edmonton)
- July 18: Depart for Canada Cup (Richmond, BC)
- July 19-22: Canada Cup (Richmond Olympic Oval, BC).
- July 22: Athletes return to Alberta and released.
2018 Head Coach: Ian McIntyre
- Team Alberta Head Coach 16U Girls – 2015, 2016, 2017
- Team Alberta Assistant Coach: 2011 & 2012 (16U Girls), 2013 & 2014 (18U Girls)
- 11+ years as Canada West Coach
- Rally Pointe Clinician, Camp Organizer & Program Manager
- NCCP Performance Coach - Trained
- Ian will be back with the Team Alberta program for his 8th straight summer.
2018 Assistant Coach: Kacey Otto
- 2017 16U Team Alberta Assistant Coach
- 5th year Outside Hitter with the University of Alberta Pandas.
- 2016-2017 Canada West Second Team All-Star.
- Service Aces Record holder for Canada West
- Team Alberta Assistant Coach 2015 (NTCC Silver)
- Assistant coach with Pandas Volleyball club
- Former Team Alberta Athlete (2013). Canada Games Gold medalist
2018 Head Coach: Janelle Rozema
- 2017 Youth National Team Assistant Coach
- 2016 Youth National Development Program Coach
- 2012- Current: University of Alberta Pandas Assistant Coach
- 2013- Current: Pandas Volleyball Club Head Coach
- 2013 - Current: VCCE Edmonton Coach
2018 Assistant Coach: Erin Corbett
- Current OH with University of Alberta Pandas.
- 2018 USport National Silver Medalist
- Former Team Alberta Athlete (2014-2016)
2018 Head Coach: Sammy Fraser
- 2012 - Current: Mount Royal University Women's Volleyball Assistant Coach
- 2015- Current: Cougars Volleyball Club Head Coach
- 2015 - Current, Cougars Volleyball Club Executive Director
- RHN Holistic Nutrition
2018 Assistant Coach: Mariah Walsh
- 2013-2017- Setter for the University of Alberta Pandas
- 2016-2017- Canada West Second Team All-Star
- 2016- Team Alberta 16U Assistant Coach
- 2015-Assistant Coach with the Pandas Volleyball Club
- Former Team Alberta Athlete. Canada Games Gold Medalist
2017 Team Alberta Training Centre
Congratulations to the following athletes who have been selected to the Team Alberta program. These athletes will be at the Team Alberta Training Centre from July 5th - July 15th.
Delaney Patrick, Edyn Aasman, Jaelle Ogilive, Madison Adam, Brooklyn Wright, Kjersti Wilm-Sirum, Mariah Bereziuk, Rachel Perry, Sarah McGee, Ashley Krause, Kylie Morrison, Lauren Kauffeldt, Riley deWit, Siarra Pless, Rosalie Morrish, Kara McIntyre, Abby Weiss, Jayce Day, Mary Murray, Presly Austin, Edan Wade, Jamie Thompson, Kalysta Knappett, Danielle Dardis, Emily Teare, Halle Krynowsky, Julia Sprentz, Julianna Truscott, Kira Weddell, Melanie MacCready, Mia Vukadin, Olivia Roest, Prisylla Mitchell, Tatiana Decore, Taylor Fuller, Abigail Gruenhage, Amaya Perry, Amber Schleppe, Anna Wittenberg, Emileigh Inglis, Emily Batt, Gillian Wayne-Nixon, Julianne Unick, Kate Fougere, Keawna Kroontje, LeeAnne Arnott, Melissa Hatfield, Michela Alongi, Mikayla Sherriffs, Raylene Bokenfohr, Scarlett Gingera, Taryn Corkery, Taylor McDonald, Vanessa Loos, Charlotte Merrifield, Jenna Gregg, Jordan Betsworth , Katelyn Hayley, Lauren Follett, Makenna Woitas, Michelle Deng, Joelle Laforce, Carolyn Berze
Team Alberta Black
|Uniform #||Athlete Name||Position|
|4||Siarra Pless||Outside Hitter|
|8||Vanessa Loos||Outside Hitter|
|10||Abigail Gruenhage||Outside Hitter|
|11||Kara McIntyre||Outside Hitter (Alternate)|
|13||Amaya Perry||Outside Hitter|
|6||Edan Wade||Outside Hitter (Alternate)|
|15||Keawna Kroontje||Outside Hitter|
Team Alberta Blue
|Uniform #||Athlete Name||Position|
|16||Emileigh Inglis||Outside Hitter|
|20||Jenna Gregg||Setter (alternate)|
|22||Taylor McDonald||Outside Hitter|
|23||Riley de Wit||Outside Hitter|
|24||Tatiana Decore||Middle (alternate)|
|26||LeeAnne Arnott||Outside Hitter|
|28||Rachel Perry||Outside Hitter|
|29||Julianna Truscott||Outside Hitter|
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- Kid Sport Elite Performance Grant: The KidSport Elite Performance Grant was created to provide financial assistance to athletes in Alberta who have been recognized at a provincial or national team level.
- Stacey Levitt Scholarship: The Stacey Levitt Women and Sport Scholarship is in memory of a very special 18 year old woman who was struck down by a car while she was jogging on Aug. 30, 1995.
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Diane Bugler at email@example.com or call 403-202-6540.