Team Alberta Beach
Note: The updated 16-month age categories DO NOT APPLY for the Team Alberta Beach program. Overage athletes are not eligible to compete in the younger age categories.
- To produce excellence among the top age class athletes in the province of Alberta.
- To develop the athlete’s technical, tactical, physical and psychological skills by exposing selected athletes to enriched levels of training and competition.
- To provide opportunities for personal and leadership development.
- Success at the Provincial Championships, Western Canada Summer Games, Canada Summer Games, National Championships; as well as the long-term preparation of athletes for participation and success at National Team levels.
The Provincial Team Program will also assist in the development of competitive beach volleyball in Alberta by working in conjunction with players, coaches and volunteers associated with Alberta’s other volleyball delivery programs.
2019 Provincial Team Program Information
18U/Western Canada Summer Games Age Class: Born in 2001 or later
Western Canada Games Womens Coach: Milou Saxton
Western Canada Games Mens Coach: Jarron Mueller
Team AB Beach 18U Womens Coach: Joanna Korzeniewski
Team AB Beach 18U Mens Coach: Corey Cowper
Selection Camp: June 1-2 Calgary (2 teams will be selected for the Western Canada Summer Games and 2 teams will be selected to the 18U Team AB Beach Program) $125/athlete Click Here to Register
Schedule: June 1-2: Women: 9:00-11:00 & 1:00-3:00
Men: 11:00-1:00 & 3:00-5:00
16U Age Class: Born in 2003 or later
Team AB Beach 16U Girls Coach: Megan Nagy
Team AB Beach 16U Boys Coach: Russ Lawrence
Selection Camp: June 8-9 Calgary $125/athlete Click Here to Register
Schedule: June 8-9: Women: 9:00-11:00 & 1:00-3:00
Men: 11:00-1:00 & 3:00-5:00
Please Note: Athletes are not able to be selected to the Team AB Beach 16U program and the 16U Indoor Western Canada Games team due to conflicts between beach nationals and Western Canada Games. Athletes are however able to be selected to the Team AB Beach 16U program and the 16U Indoor Canada Cup teams.
Volleyball Alberta's focus for 16U (born 2003 or later) and 18U (born 2001 or later) beach volleyball athletes is to provide an opportunity to train in a challenging, developmental environment and receive education on what it takes to prepare, train and perform at a high level. For this group, there is an emphasis on understanding the game of beach volleyball and to stabilize and refine those specific skills and tactics.
In 2019 a maximum of twenty athletes will be identified and invited to the Team Alberta Competition Group. The Competition group will be selected based on athletes attendance at the High Performance Camps in June. Athletes attend the High Performance Camps as individuals and the Team Alberta coaching staff will pair selected athletes into partnerships who will compete together at provincials and nationals.
In addition to the Team Alberta Competition Group 4 athletes/gender in the 18U age class (born 2001 or later) will be selected for the Western Canada Summer Games. These athletes will attend the Western Canada Games in Swift Current, August 8-13.
Athletes selected will have the opportunity to be coached by some of Alberta's top beach volleyball coaches in a competitive high performance training environment. Each age class will have a head coach who will provide coaching and support in training as well as at provincials and nationals.
The 2019 Competition group selected in June will attend a training camp in Calgary July 29 to August 2 and then compete in the Provincial Championships in Calgary August 3-4. The Competition Group will then travel to Nationals (Toronto) on August 11 from Calgary and practice prior to competing in nationals. Athletes will fly back to Calgary or Edmonton the evening of August 18.
Cost: $1350 : 16U/18U Provincial Team
Cost: $750: Western Canada Games Team
2019 Western Canada Summer Games (Athletes born in 2001 or later)
Selection Dates: June 1-2 (Calgary)
Four athletes per gender will be selected to represent Alberta at the Western Canada Games in Swift Current, August 8-13. Selections will take place June 1-2 in Calgary at the 18U Team AB Beach tryout. From this tryout four athletes will be selected to the WCSG Beach Program. Interested athletes should contact Ray Sewell: email@example.com (403-202-6541)
2019 20U Beach Canada Cup (athletes born in 1999 and 2000)
Volleyball Canada will be hosting the 20U Beach Canada Cup in Edmonton, July 17-21. The selection tournament will be held June 9 in Calgary. Athletes must have a partner to register for the tournament. The top 2 teams in each gender will qualify for the Canada Cup.
Interested athletes should contact Ray Sewell at rsewell@volleyballalberta (403-202-6541) for more information.
The benefits of beach volleyball - this document outlines some of the benefits an athlete can get from playing beach volleyball in the summer
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- FCAVA Provincial Team Volleyball Scholarship: These scholarships are available to Provincial Team athletes who demonstrate an interest in attending SAIT Polytechnic and competing as members of the Men's and Women's SAIT Trojans Volleyball Teams.
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- Kid Sport Elite Performance Grant: The KidSport Elite Performance Grant was created to provide financial assistance to athletes in Alberta who have been recognized at a provincial or national team level.
- Stacey Levitt Scholarship: The Stacey Levitt Women and Sport Scholarship is in memory of a very special 18 year old woman who was struck down by a car while she was jogging on Aug. 30, 1995.
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.