Team Alberta Beach
Note: The updated 16-month age categories DO NOT APPLY for the Team Alberta Beach program. Overage athletes are not eligible to compete in the younger age categories.
- To produce excellence among the top age class athletes in the province of Alberta.
- To develop the athlete’s technical, tactical, physical and psychological skills by exposing selected athletes to enriched levels of training and competition.
- To provide opportunities for personal and leadership development.
- Success at the Provincial Championships, Western Canada Summer Games, Canada Summer Games, National Championships; as well as the long-term preparation of athletes for participation and success at National Team levels.
The Provincial Team Program will also assist in the development of competitive beach volleyball in Alberta by working in conjunction with players, coaches and volunteers associated with Alberta’s other volleyball delivery programs.
2020 Provincial Team Program Information Coming Soon
18U Age Class: Born in 2002 or later
16U Age Class: Born in 2004 or later
Please Note: Athletes are able to be selected to the Team AB Beach 16U/18U programs and the Indoor Canada Cup teams.
Volleyball Alberta's focus for 16U (born 2004 or later) and 18U (born 2002 or later) beach volleyball athletes is to provide an opportunity to train in a challenging, developmental environment and receive education on what it takes to prepare, train and perform at a high level. For this group, there is an emphasis on understanding the game of beach volleyball and to stabilize and refine those specific skills and tactics.
In 2020 a maximum of twenty four athletes will be identified and invited to the Team Alberta Competition Group. The Competition group will be selected based on athletes attendance at the High Performance Camps in June. Athletes attend the High Performance Camps as individuals and the Team Alberta coaching staff will pair selected athletes into partnerships who will compete together at provincials and nationals.
Athletes selected will have the opportunity to be coached by some of Alberta's top beach volleyball coaches in a competitive high performance training environment. Each age class will have a head coach who will provide coaching and support in training as well as at provincials and nationals.
The 2020 Competition group selected and will attend a training camp in Calgary and then compete in the Provincial Championships in Calgary. The Competition Group will then travel to Nationals (Toronto) from Calgary and practice prior to competing in nationals. Athletes will then fly back to Calgary or Edmonton.
Cost: $1350 : 16U/18U Provincial Team
2020 20U Beach Canada Cup (athletes born in 2000 and 2001)
Volleyball Canada will be hosting the 20U Beach Canada Cup in Toronto. The selection tournament will be held in Calgary. Athletes must have a partner to register for the tournament. More information coming soon.
Interested athletes should contact Ray Sewell at rsewell@volleyballalberta (403-202-6541) for more information.
The benefits of beach volleyball - this document outlines some of the benefits an athlete can get from playing beach volleyball in the summer
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- FCAVA Provincial Team Volleyball Scholarship: These scholarships are available to Provincial Team athletes who demonstrate an interest in attending SAIT Polytechnic and competing as members of the Men's and Women's SAIT Trojans Volleyball Teams.
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- Kid Sport Elite Performance Grant: The KidSport Elite Performance Grant was created to provide financial assistance to athletes in Alberta who have been recognized at a provincial or national team level.
- Stacey Levitt Scholarship: The Stacey Levitt Women and Sport Scholarship is in memory of a very special 18 year old woman who was struck down by a car while she was jogging on Aug. 30, 1995.
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.