Updated: April 22, 2021
New health measures are in place for Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray youth in grades 7-12 to protect the health system and reduce the rising spread of COVID-19 in these regions. You can find the updated measures on the Government of Alberta's website, under Youth and collegiate sport and recreation activities.
- All youth indoor sport and recreation activities that are not part of a school program (for example, physical education) are not permitted for grade 7 to 12 youth in the Municipalities of Calgary and Fort McMurray, effective April 20, and municipality of Edmonton, effective April 22. This includes homeschooled students.
- These activities will be permitted again when in-person learning resumes.
- Outdoor sport and recreation activities and 1-on-1 indoor fitness with a trainer or coach are still permitted.
- Indoor activities may be moved outdoors, provided all safety requirements for outdoor physical activities are followed.
- Participants must remain masked at all times always, except during high intensity physical activity. Coaches and trainers must always remain masked.
Considering the high number of COVID-19 cases and requirement for additional measures in these regions, Volleyball Alberta strongly recommends the following for teams that transition to outdoor training.
- Continue to maintain 3 metres of physical distancing, the same requirements that were in place during indoor training. The added space will help reduce the risk.