2021 Team Alberta Training Centres (Calgary and Edmonton)
Athletes from the following two age categories will be considered for the Team Alberta program:
- Athletes born in September 2005 or later*. Athletes within the 16-month window AND in the same grade level as the program year (Grade 9) will be given the most consideration for eligibility for this program.
- Athletes born in September 2004 or later* Athletes within the 16-month window AND in the same grade level as the program year (Grade 10) will be given the most consideration for eligibility for this program.
- Note: *Older athletes may be considered based on their physical and skill development level.
- The goal of our provincial team program is to identify athletes who have the potential to develop and reach the next levels in our sport. This would include post-secondary, National Team programs and professional leagues.
- To identify coaches that have potential to coach in a high-performance stream.
- To help develop the athlete’s technical, tactical, physical and psychological skills by exposing them to enriched levels of training and competition.
- To mentor, develop and educate coaches in a high-performance environment.
- To provide opportunities for athletes and coaches to build their competence, character, confidence and leadership. To encourage/inspire athletes and coaches to reach the highest levels in our sport.
- To prepare athletes and coaches for participation and success at the post-secondary and National Team levels as well as Western Canada Summer Games, Canada Summer Games, and the Canada Cup.
Physical Profile of a Team Alberta Athlete
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
16U Female Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations in January (after the Premier 1 registration deadline).
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing. Conducted tests include weight, height, seated height, standing reach, wingspan, grip strength, vertical jump (block, spike), Pro-Agility test.
- Team Alberta staff will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Testing and performance results will be used to extend select athletes an offer to attend the ID Camp.
- Athletes will be evaluated at the ID Camp. Athletes not in attendance at the ID Camp may still move forward in the evaluation process.
- Team Alberta staff will continue to evaluate athletes in the Premier Season.
- Select Athletes will be invited to attend the Training Centre in the summer.
- From the Training Camp, three teams of 12 athletes will be selected (for more information, please refer to the 2020 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy) to represent Alberta at Canada Cup.
Team Alberta Training Centres in Calgary and Edmonton
The purpose of the Team Alberta Training Centre is to expose a larger number of athletes to advanced instruction in volleyball specific skills, fitness, mental, and physical preparation. The focus will be on technical and tactical training in all aspects of the game by both Provincial Team Coaches and guest coaches from around the province. Approximately 36 female athletes will attend training centres in Calgary and Edmonton in July . Athletes attending the Training Camp will have 11 days of training with Alberta’s top coaches and high performance staff. Volleyball Alberta will not provide accommodation or meals for athletes in 2021.
In 2021 Clubs/Coaches will receive an email asking for athlete recommendations via formstack. From the recommended athletes a selection committee will review recommendations along with video submissions and invite athletes to the training centres in August.
Team Alberta Competition Teams - Not applicable for 2021
Key Dates for 2021 (Tentative):
- August 4 - 14
- Weekday evening training sessions
- Weekend Training during the day/evening
2021 Coaching Staff
Calgary Training Centre
Head Coach: Reid Brodie
- Head Coach with Dinos Women's Volleyball Club
- Former Assistant Coach with Team Canada FISU
- Former athlete for Team Canada, Dino's, and professionally in Brazil
Assistant Coach: Mariah Walsh
- Young Fitness On-Court and Strength Coach
- Co-Founder of VolleyIQ
- Former athlete for Team Canada, Pandas, and professionally in Germany
Edmonton Training Centre
Head Coach: Tashie Macapagal
- Head Coach with Pandas Volleyball Club
- Assistant Coach with Lillian Osborne High School Sr. Girls
- Former University of Alberta Pandas athlete and National Champion
Assistant Coach: Tessa Hill
- Co-Founder of Precision Volleyball Academy
- Former University of Alberta Pandas captain, USports Medalist
- Assistant Coach with Pandas Volleyball Club
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Ray Sewell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 780-415-1703 ext. 5
2021 Team Alberta Training Centre
2019 Team Alberta Training Centre
Congratulations to the following athletes who have been selected to the Team Alberta program. These athletes will be at the Team Alberta Training Centre from July 2th - 7th
Avery Anderson, Narelle Arnold, Sheridan Coninx, Dominique Desautels, Olivia Edlund, Daniela Falaye, Sophie Ferguson, Nalaina Funk, Kristin Gilmour, Grace Haws, Carlee Heidebrecht, Lailatu Ibrahim, Laila Johnston, Brooklyn Knoch, Taylor Lougheed, Marlyn Ma, Brooke Malek, Ellie Masters, Peighton Melton, Robyn Mclean, Emma Morrison, Hattie Ogden, Issy Robertshaw, Paige Roslinsky, Kate Schneider, Emelie Silovs, Danielle Smith, Kasandra Trenke, Madeleine Vincett, Taylor Wright
Kallie Ball, Ava Beisla, Jillian Bieraugle, Maryn Boldon, Emma Brooks, Arden Butler, Abigail Carter Wilson, Faith Christensen, Heather Del Pero, Jayden Easingwood, Kinna Fisher, Kara Frith, Kaylee Glanville, Tielle Hagel, Jada Hamer, Taylor Hart, Ella Hornby, Maya Jovanovic, Hayley Kennedy, Andi Krawec, Sophie Krupp, Ashley Lockwood, Morgan McKale, Tanisha McQueen, Isla Olesen, Kinleigh Pate, Lyndsey Peltzer, Lana Pralica, Annika Radke, Kyra Rawlusyk, Jenna Rivard, Sona Sajeev, Tyra Sharuga, Payton Shimoda, Samantha Silva, Jailyn Stouffer, Kaylyn Tanton, Mary Thiessen, Emma Thompson, Kindigo Watson, Shynelle Woroniuk, Sarah Zonneveld.
2019 Team Alberta 15U Competition Teams
Team Alberta White
2019 Team Alberta 16U Competition Teams
Team Alberta Black
Team Alberta Blue
2019 Western Canada Summer Games Team
Coaches: Carolyn O'Dwyer, Sammy Fraser, Sandra Lamb
2018 Team Alberta 16U Competition Teams
Team Alberta Black
|4||Madison Macfie||Outside Hitter|
|5||Megan McDonald||Setter (Alternate)|
|6||Grace Coulter||Outside Hitter|
|8||Megan Harley||Outside Hitter|
|9||Sarah Heupel||Outside Hitter (Alternate)|
|10||Lauren Kauffeldt||Outside Hitter|
|12||Scarlett Gingera||Outside Hitter|
|16||Polina Golovina||Outside Hitter|
Team Alberta Blue
|5||Ashley Krause||Outside Hitter (alternate)|
|6||Madison Hoppus||Outside Hitter|
|7||Jordyn Sealock||Outside Hitter|
|10||Kendall Tanner||Middle/OH (Alternate)|
|11||Nora Kotun||Outside Hitter|
|12||Rachel Perry||Outside Hitter|
Team Alberta White
|1||Jessie Shang||Outside Hitter|
|5||Payton Shimoda||Setter/Libero (alternate)|
|8||Kylee Glanville||Outside Hitter|
|9||Mary Thiessen||Outside Hitter|
|13||Shynelle Woroniuk||Outside Hitter|
|14||Mya Scoble||Rightside (alternate)|