2023 Team Alberta Men
Athletes born in September 2005 or later*. Athletes within the 16-month window AND in the same grade level as the program year (Grade 11) will be given the most consideration for eligibility for this program.
Physical Profile of a Team Alberta Athlete
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
17U Male Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations after the Premier 1 roster lock deadline.
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing. The tests conducted will not impact athlete performance at Premier #2; conducted tests include weight, height, seated height, standing reach, wingspan, grip strength, vertical jump (block, spike), Pro-Agility test. Team Alberta coaches will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Based on testing results and performance at Premier Events & Provincial Championships, athlete will be extended an offer to attend Team Alberta Selection Camps.
- Volleyball Alberta will provide Volleyball Canada with a list of our top athletes for the VC Selection Committee to consider when selecting their Youth & Junior National Teams.
- Team Alberta Coaches will select 12 competition athletes and up to 2 Training athletes at the end of Selection Camp #2 to join the Team Alberta Summer Program (for more information, please refer to the 2020 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy).
Team Alberta Training Centres in Calgary and/or Edmonton
Approximately 12 athletes will attend training centres in Calgary and/or Edmonton. Athletes attending the Training Camp will be training with Alberta's top coaches and high performance staff and compete in Canada Cup.
Key Dates for 2023:
- Physical Fitness Testing - February 3
- ID Camp #1 - March 18, Sylvan Lake
- ID Camp #2 - May 27, Sylvan Lake
- Training Centre - July 3 - 9, Saville Community Sports Centre
- Team Tranining - July 12 - 18, Saville Community Sports Centre
- Canada Cup Competition - July 19 - 23, Brock University and Canada Games Park
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Derek Hemsley at email@example.com or call 780-415-1703 ext. 8
2023 Coaching Staff
- Check our Employment Opportunities page for Team Alberta Coach openings for 2023.
2022 Team Alberta Competition Team
Results: Canada Cup, Tier 2 Championship Gold Medal
|17U Team Alberta Men|
|1 - Edward Anderson|
|2 - Kolton Rawlusyk|
|3 - Ryder Turne|
|4 - Grant Hill|
|5 - Marshall Qually|
|6 - Owen Harris|
|7 - Cody Hudson|
|8 - Kale Fisher|
|9 - Grayson Jarrett|
|10 - Mitchell Aalbers|
|11 - Ryan John|
|12 - Kale Orr|
|13 - Noah Rigney|
|14 - Tucker Cacic|
|15 - Ronan Huth|
|Head Coach - Jordan Taylor|
|Assistant Coach - Shane Barr|
2021 Team Alberta Training Centre
Calgary Training Centre Athletes
Head Coach: Paul Armbruster, Assistant Coach: Emmitt Juul-Hansen
|Boris Berbic||Outside Hitter|
|Ben House||Outside Hitter|
|Tate Howell||Outside Hitter|
|Victor Secches Reis||Outside Hitter|
|Cade Smith||Outside Hitter|
|Tom Vos||Outside Hitter|
Edmonton Training Centre Athletes
Head Coach: Vinny Saporito, Assistant Coach: Kyle Erickson
|Pierce Decore||Outside Hitter|
|Sean Kaliel||Outside Hitter|
|Brendon Lord||Outside Hitter|
|Emmett Neuls||Outside Hitter|
|Jayden Scheel||Outside Hitter|
|Jack Semonis||Outside Hitter|
|Aiden Wright||Outside Hitter|
2019 17U Team Alberta Roster
|3||Colby Nemeth||Outside Hitter|
|4||Josh Gagnon||Outside Hitter/Libero|
|6||Erik Godwin||Outside Hitter|
|7||Zach Lobdell||Outside Hitter|
|9||Felix Dufour||Outside Hitter/Middle|
|11||Joel Nickel||Outside Hitter|
|5||Keegan Hanrahan (alternate)||Middle|
|16||David Kindley (alternate)||Setter|
2018 17U Team Alberta Roster
|3||Olamide Ajayi||Outside Hitter|
|5||Griffin Butler||Outside Hitter|
|14||Noah Carlson||Outside Hitter|
|6||Tyler Funk||Outside Hitter|
|9||Jacob Van Geel||Outside Hitter|
|11||Jens Watt||Outside Hitter|
|2||Callum Campbell (alternate)||Outside Hitter|
|10||Kobby Nyarko (alternate)||Outside Hitter|