2020 Team Alberta Grey - Men
Athletes born in September 2002 or later*. Athletes within the 16-month window AND in the same grade level as the program year (Grade 11) will be given the most consideration for eligibility for this program.
*Older athletes may be considered based on their physical and skill development level.
Physical Profile of a Team Alberta Athlete
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
17U Male Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations in January (after the Premier 1 registration deadline).
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing. The tests conducted will not impact athlete performance at Premier #1; conducted tests include weight, height, seated height, standing reach, wingspan, grip strength, vertical jump (block, spike), Pro-Agility test. Team Alberta coaches will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Based on testing results and performance at Premier Events & Provincial Championships, athlete will be extended an offer to attend Team Alberta Selection Camps. Please note: If athletes are unable to attend testing, club coaches will have to provide their testing results prior to being invited to the Selection Camps.
- Volleyball Alberta will provide Volleyball Canada with a list of our top athletes for the VC Selection Committee to consider when selecting their Youth & Junior National Teams.
- Team Alberta Coaches will select 12 competition athletes and up to 2 Training athletes at the end of Selection Camp #2 to join the Team Alberta Grey Summer Program (for more information, please refer to the 2020 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy).
Key Dates for 2020 (Dates and locations may be subject to change):
- January: Club Coaches receive request for Athlete Recommendations
- TBA: Recommended Athletes attend evening physical testing
- April 18: 17U Selection Camp #1 (Location TBA)
- May TBA: 17U/18U Selection Camp #2 (Location TBA)
- June 30: Athletes Arrive for Training
- June 30 - July 14: Team Alberta Training (Red Deer, AB)
- July 15-19: Canada Cup (Calgary, AB)
2020 Coaching Staff
2020 Team Alberta Grey Head Coach: Greg Barthel
- Current Assistant coach with Mount Royal University Men's Volleyball program.
- 2007-2018: University of Regina Men's Volleyball Head Coach
- 2010-current: Volleyball Canada coach with Junior, Youth & Regional Excellence programs
- Inducted into the ACAC Hall of Fame in 2014
- NCCP Performance Coach trained
2020 Team Alberta Grey Assistant Coach: Craig Marshall
- Current Assistant Coach with the University of Alberta Men's Volleyball program.
- 2019 & 2018 Team Alberta 16U Men's Head Coach, 2019 WCSG Assistant Coach
- 2017 Team Alberta 17U Women's Head Coach
- 12 years of coaching experience. Current Head Coach of the 18UW NAVC Griffins.
- 2017: Assistant Coach with The King's University Women's program
- 2015-2017: Assistant Coach with The King's University Men's program
- Currently enrolled in the University of Alberta's Master's of Coaching program.
- Bachelor of P.E. from the University of Alberta, major in coaching studies in 2015.
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Diane Bugler at email@example.com or call 403-202-6540
2019 17U Team Alberta Roster
|3||Colby Nemeth||Outside Hitter|
|4||Josh Gagnon||Outside Hitter/Libero|
|6||Erik Godwin||Outside Hitter|
|7||Zach Lobdell||Outside Hitter|
|9||Felix Dufour||Outside Hitter/Middle|
|11||Joel Nickel||Outside Hitter|
|5||Keegan Hanrahan (alternate)||Middle|
|16||David Kindley (alternate)||Setter|
2018 17U Team Alberta Roster
|3||Olamide Ajayi||Outside Hitter|
|5||Griffin Butler||Outside Hitter|
|14||Noah Carlson||Outside Hitter|
|6||Tyler Funk||Outside Hitter|
|9||Jacob Van Geel||Outside Hitter|
|11||Jens Watt||Outside Hitter|
|2||Callum Campbell (alternate)||Outside Hitter|
|10||Kobby Nyarko (alternate)||Outside Hitter|