2020 Team Alberta Grey - Women
Athletes born in September 2002 or later*. Athletes within the 16-month window AND in the same grade level as the program year (Grade 11) will be given the most consideration for eligibility for this program.
*Older athletes may be considered based on their physical and skill development level.
Physical Profile of a Team Alberta Athlete
The goals of our program cannot necessarily be met by simply examining the most skilled athletes at each level. Identified athletes need to have the size and athleticism that are essential for success at the higher levels. Volleyball skills can be further refined as athletes get exposure and practice within our sport.
Our High Performance Committee has researched and evaluated physical testing results from numerous sources to understand the base physical performance levels that athletes should possess for continued success in our sport.
17U Female Team Alberta Athlete- Physical Profile (with recommended standards)
Please note: These standards are not the sole factor in athlete identification or selection. Athletes also need to demonstrate potential to be an elite athlete, a willingness to learn, a great attitude, decision making and leadership skills.
- Club Coaches will receive an email asking for their athlete recommendations in January (after the Premier 1 registration deadline).
- Recommended athletes will be invited to do the physical testing. Conducted tests include weight, height, seated height, standing reach, wingspan, grip strength, vertical jump (block, spike), Pro-Agility test.
- Team Alberta coaches will receive the list of the athlete recommendations and testing results to begin their evaluations at the Premier events.
- Based on testing results and performance at Premier Events & Provincial Championships, athlete will be extended an offer to attend Team Alberta Selection Camps. Please note: If athletes are unable to attend testing, club coaches will have to provide their testing results prior to being invited to the Selection Camps.
- Volleyball Alberta will provide Volleyball Canada with a list of our top athletes for the VC Selection Committee to consider when selecting their Youth & Junior National Teams.
- Team Alberta Coaches will select 12 competition athletes and 2 Training athletes at the end of Selection Camp #2 to join the Team Alberta 17U Summer Program (for more information, please refer to the 2020 Team Alberta- Athlete Selection Policy).
17U Key Dates for 2020 (Dates and locations may be subject to change):
- January: Club Coaches receive request for Athlete Recommendations
- TBA: Recommended Athletes attend evening physical testing
- April 18: 17U Selection Camp #1 (Location TBA)
- May TBA: 17U/18U Selection Camp #2 (Location TBA)
- June 30: Athletes Arrive for Training
- June 30 - July 14: Team Alberta Training (Red Deer, AB)
- July 15-19: Canada Cup (Calgary, AB)
2020 Team Alberta Grey Head Coach: Carolyn O'Dwyer
- 2019 16U Team Alberta Black Head Coach & WCSG Team Head Coach
- 2018 Team Alberta 17U Head Coach
- 2017-current: University of Alberta Pandas: Assistant Coach & Masters in Coaching student
- 2017 18U Team Alberta: Canada Games Assistant Coach
- SAIT and MRU Assistant coaching experience
- 2016 Team Alberta coach - 17U Girls
- 2014 - 2017: VCCE Calgary coach
- 2012 - 2015: Outside Hitter at MRU: Canada West Rookie of the Year in 2015
- 2009 - 2013: Team Alberta athlete (2013 Canada Games Gold)
2020 Team Alberta Grey Assistant Coach: Sammy Fraser
- 2019 16U Team Alberta Blue Head Coach & WCSG Team Assistant Coach
- 2018 Team Alberta Blue 16U Head Coach
- 2012 - Current: Mount Royal University Women's Volleyball Assistant Coach
- 2015- Current: Cougars Volleyball Club Head Coach
- 2015 - Current, Cougars Volleyball Club Executive Director
- RHN Holistic Nutrition
Financial Assistance Program
Athletes in financial need can apply to Volleyball Alberta for assistance via the Hugh Hoyles Scholarship Fund.
Below is a list of other scholarships, grants, and programs that athletes may apply for:
- Kid Sport Alberta: KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under
- JumpStart: Jumpstart funding helps families that need a financial hand with registration, equipment and/or transportation costs.
For more information on the Team Alberta program, please contact Diane Bugler at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-202-6540.
2019 17U Team Alberta Roster
|10||Alyshia Bryks||Outside Hitter|
|5||Grace Coulter||Outside Hitter|
|12||Scarlett Gingera||Outside Hitter|
|2||Melissa Hatfield||Outside Hitter|
|15||Avery Kelly||Outside Hitter|
|8||Sophie Reed||Outside Hitter|
|16||Dani Jodoin (Alternate)||Outside Hitter/Middle|
|3||Evie Kath (Alternate)||Setter|
|Lauren Kauffeldt (Alternate)||Outside Hitter|
2018 17U Team Alberta Roster
|6||Mariah Bereziuk||Outside Hitter/Middle|
|3||Riley deWit||Outside Hitter|
|4||Jordan Lapins||Outside Hitter|
|8||Vanessa Loos||Outside Hitter|
|13||Amaya Perry||Outside Hitter|
|11||Trinity Solecki||Outside Hitter|
|7||Kira Weddell (Alternate)||Middle|