Are you interested in helping guide the future of volleyball in Alberta? Do you have experience and skills to help develop policy and provide governance for Volleyball Alberta? We are currently seeking passionate candidates to join our Board of Directors.
Volleyball Alberta is a non-profit organization with the mission to unite our members and stakeholders in a safe and inclusive volleyball pathway. As the provincial sport governing body, Volleyball Alberta is involved in every facet of the sport by running programs at all levels, both indoors and on the beach. VA welcomes and encourages nominations for people from under-represented groups.
In accordance with our Board Determination & Eligibility Policy, board candidates must be 18 years or older, be a resident of Alberta, and meet the qualifications and core competencies that would enhance our leadership team:
- Clear understanding of the role of governance versus operational aspects of the organization
- Strong understanding of the sport system
- Strong communication skills – ability to share ideas and influence others
- Visionary – able to see Volleyball Alberta in broad terms as part of the sport sector
- Strategic – able to contribute to the development and execution of Volleyball Alberta’s strategic plan
- Specific skills as identified by the Nominations Committee:
- Legal designation (LL.B).
- Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA).
- Professional qualifications (MD, PhD, MBA, Sport Science).
- Personnel Management (Human Resource Professional designation).
- Media/Marketing/Public Relations contacts/experience.
- Fundraising and funding source contacts.
- Administration/Management experience.
- Government relations/contacts.
- Organizational development/Strategic Planning experience.
- Other skills valued by the Board of Directors.
- Commitment and capacity (time, energy, expertise) to fulfill the commitment as a Director.
- Previous board experience
- Knowledge about the sport of volleyball.
By 2025, candidates selected to the Volleyball Alberta Board cannot hold a position, board or decision maker, with an affiliated member organization. Successful candidates have 30 days to resign their current position from an affiliated member organization.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for the VA Board of Directors by submitting the Board Recruiting & Development Matrix (your cover letter and resume/CV will be required to be uploaded) by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. Candidates must be a member of Volleyball Alberta prior to the AGM. Board Members positions are conditional upon completing Screening Requirements set out in Volleyball Alberta’s Screening Policy.
A Nominations Committee will review all nominations and communicate them to our Directors in advance of the 2023 Annual General Meeting, which will take place on Saturday, December 9, 2023. We will be electing the Vice-President, and one Director at Large position. Annually, the director and referee representative positions will also be appointed.
Posted: October 12, 2023